If you have missing teeth in your smile, you may want to consider the benefits of dental implants. While the timeline for the dental implant procedure can span anywhere between 5 and 13 months, the results are worth the wait.
Not only do dental implants look natural, but they also feel natural and function the same way as your natural teeth. To determine if you are a candidate for tooth implants, we recommend you schedule a consultation with our dental implant dentist.
Keep reading to learn more about the tooth replacement. That way, you can feel informed and confident when seeking dental treatment.and benefits of getting a permanent
Dental Implant Procedure
In order to properly secure your false tooth, our Grand Rapids dentist will drill a hole through the gum line into the jawbone where the implant will be inserted. A protective cover is then placed over the implant. The dental implant is a titanium rod that’s designed to act much like a natural tooth root. It’s important to understand that the tooth implant process will take several months. Over the next three to six months, you’ll need to wait for the dental implant to anchor to the jawbone in a process called osseointegration.
Once the dental implant has properly fused with your jawbone, you’ll be able to move on to the next step. It’s important to understand that the long waiting period is necessary to make sure the dental implant integrates with your jawbone. Otherwise, the dental implant will fail.The next part of your dental implant process involves placing an abutment and dental crown over the implant. The dental crown is the visible portion above the gum line that looks like a natural tooth.
We offer same-day crowns, so when you stop in for your crown appointment, we can evaluate your mouth and create a crown for you the same day. This reduces the overall dental implant process by several weeks!
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Durable: Dental implants are durable because they are meant to imitate the full function of a natural tooth. Unlike dentures which sit on the surface of your gums, dental implants are fused with your jawbone and are incredibly stable.
- Continue Eating Your Favorite Foods: Dentures have the tendency to slip slightly when trying to eat. Dental implants, on the other hand, function as a natural tooth and don’t move. Since your dental implant is rooted into your jawbone, you can enjoy your favorite foods without the worry of denture slippage.
- Speak Better and with Confidence: When people get dentures for the first time, they have to relearn how to talk. This is because your lips, cheeks, and tongue have to get used to speaking around a new oral appliance. However, act like a natural tooth so you don’t have to worry about speaking with a slight lisp or practicing pronunciation.
- Looks Natural: Dentures that don’t fit properly aren’t able to effectively mimic the appearance of natural teeth, especially if they are constantly slipping. However, your new dental implants will be a stable tooth restoration fused to your jawbone. For this reason, dental implants look and feel natural.
- Prevent Jawbone Deterioration: The cells in your jawbone require stimulation from tooth roots. Otherwise, your jawbone will start to deteriorate. To prevent jawbone deterioration, we recommend dental implants. Dental implants fuse with the jawbone and create enough pressure to simulate natural tooth roots. If left untreated, jawbone deterioration can lead to further tooth loss or even facial collapse.
- Preserve Tooth Spacing: When you are missing a tooth, the rest of your teeth slowly shift and change position over time, stretching out into the new space. If you’ve had braces in the past, this could undo all of your hard work. Dental implants act like a natural tooth, preserving the placement of the rest of your teeth.
- Lasts a Lifetime: Your dental implants will last for decades with proper care. Once they’ve healed, they’re a part of your mouth! While your crown might become damaged or require repair, the implant itself is made of strong materials that stand the test of time. Make sure you take care of your dental implant the same way you do with your natural teeth so that they last you a lifetime.
Dr. Piotrowski DDS and his team are dedicated to helping you restore your smile after tooth loss through dental implants and other restorative dentistry services. To schedule an appointment with our Grand Rapids dental implant dentist, call Precision Family Dental at (616) 949-1570.